Monday, August 10, 2009

Better Late Than Never

So...yes. I realize that in the beginning of the summer I promised to update with frequent tales of the delights of the cafeteria at the ADVANCE program, and sadly I never did. Not because I didn't want to, but simply because the Fine Arts education of fourteen 12-15 year-old girls unfortunately took precedence over updating this blog on any sort of basis. However...I did photographically record two different meals that I consumed and feel that now, as a way of ushering out summer 2009, I will finally write about them.

Both were free. I've always said...free food is the best kind of food a person can eat. Is it true? No, but I've always said that.

The first meal was a tuna salad sandwich consumed at the ADVANCE cafeteria. Well, the cafeteria is technically called the LSMSA Showcase (cafeteria for the Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts) and this particular sandwich came from a section called the "New Orleans Deli." It's basically just a plastic buffet set-up with some lukewarm lunch meats hanging out on it...with a sad little placard above claiming its products are from the Big Easy, but it's pretty clear they're from Sam's Club. Anyway, I was left a little unsatisfied with whatever the meal of the day was, so in order to supplement it, I served myself what I believed to be chicken salad on a slice of wheat bread. I chose to ignore the unsettingly vibrant redness of some small chunks that were hanging around in there...even though I had not noticed them when I previously ate a chicken salad sandwich the day before. After a bite...it was still unclear whether it was chicken or fish. After another...it remained unclear. I, eventually, with the help of my olfactory senses and those around me was able to determine that it was, in fact, tuna fish. Long story short, it turns out that according to this New Orleans Deli, the biggest difference between mayonnaise/fish products, and mayonnaise/chicken products isn't necessarily the protein use, but rather these small red things. That's the only major difference I could discern.

All things considered, it was still kind of good. But not really. But at the time...didn't seem that bad. But mostly in comparison to what else I was eating. In retrospect...it was about as delicious as this photograph is flattering of me.

The only other picture I have of myself wearing this headband and consuming any kind of food is this one...which I'm realizing now that I probably took the same day...as I am wearing the same t-shirt. There is a chance though that I was really just wearing the same shirt out fo laziness, or possibly devotion to Emory University. That's beside the point. Because this was a special day.

This was free root beer float night at Sonic. There isn't really much to say about free root beer floats. They're delicious. And they're free. They're a little small I guess...but that's something you really have to deal with if you're going to somewhere for a free beverage. So...yeah. It was good. I will take a brief instant to comment on the merits of Sonic as a drive-in and as a place of acquiring sustenance. Since there are inexplicably two Sonics within two miles of each other in Natchitoches (which is barely two miles long itself), it was where many evenings were spent trying to get visions of bad casseroles and bad children out of our troubled minds. While not necessarily healthy...Sonic's assortment of hamburgers, chicken dishes, fried foods, wieners, and ice cream never disappointed. The only real complaint I have about Sonic is that when you order a hamburger, they say "What kind?" and then you have to choose ketchup, mustard or mayonnaise. You can only have one...and it defines your hamburger. I don't like that. It's a hamburger. Don't try to put it in a box. It's got to float. It's gotta have wings, man. Anyway, I had a ketchup burger once and it was good. Like, it was really good. But I don't like idea of it. And I'm a little crotchety and I don't like it when this doggone kids start messing with the originals. The end.

2 comments:

  1. Oh camille you're so hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when you update, camille. I agree, you are hilarious. I find it very upsetting that sonic classifies hamburgers by condiment. I would suggest you take that you take up your literal and figurative beef with andrew aka the manager, but he is supposedly moving on to bigger and better things that life has to offer.

    ReplyDelete