Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chevy's FRESH mex

We drove out to veterans to take advantage of Mr. Dahl's Mr. Manager position at Chevy's Fresh Mex (food fo free). Chevy's is a pig out place. I made the mistake of looking at the nutrition facts pre-dinner, and basically decided that everything is pretty terrible for you, but pretty delicious, so why even bother thinking about it??? Let's eat!
We started with a chicken flautas appetizer (not pictured) that is served with pepper jelly dipping sauce. Flautas are delicious and strangely comforting to me. Don't really know why. It came in an order of six flautas (larger than we remembered), and they were devoured pretty quickly.
I decided to go for fajitas--asparagus and portabello mushroom fajitas. The fajitas are served sizzling on this really large, really heavy, fajita get-up. Don't know any other way to describe it. The mushrooms and asparagus were served on onions and peppers and were kind of oily, but good nonetheless. I opted out of the fresh mex rice, but got black beans, cheese, pico de gallo, and sour cream. I "built" my fajitas on flour tortillas made by EL MACHINO. OH and the BEST part of my meal was the tamalito (aka corn pone). How they make this corn mash so delicious, I do not know. But it is fantastic. The only bad part of my meal was one chewy/burnt asparagus stalk that tasted strangely like marijuana.
Ellie got fajitas too, but as she suspects she might have an iron deficiency, she ordered shrimp and carnitas fajitas. Her dad used to joke that carnitas were marinated in Dr. pepper, but I believe this is a lie. The carnitas were really tender and well-seasoned, whether sugary soda was used or not. She got the rice and refried beans.
Jolie went with the combination of two delicious tex mex favorites--- fajita quesadilla. I believe she had the carnita fajita quesadilla, which was topped with sour cream and guacamole. She didn't say much about it, but there was little to complain about besides lacking tamalitos (aka CORN PONE). It was one of the largest quesadillas I have ever seen.

As Dana loves flautas, she ordered flautas along with a chicken chimichanga, served with rice (she opted out of beans) and tamalito. She did not like the chimichanga, as the cheese on top resembled nacho cheese. I tasted it though, and I thought it was tasty enough. The flautas, as always, were a hit.
It is a tradition that we order dessert at Chevy's. And the dessert must be the Oooey Gooey Chewy Sundae. Fresh-baked molten brownie, topped with 3 scoops of rich, creamy vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and crumbled oreo cookie. It is drenched in some sort of chocolate sauce. Let me tell you, this dessert
was absolutely delicious. We split it between the four of us, as it's pretty huge.
The ice cream was a perfect ending to a fattie meal, but it was a delicious and a FREE meal, thanks to Mr. Dahl (whose real tall!) It's a tradition that should be taken advantage of at least once a year. Unfortunately, at the end of this meal, we had to say bye to Jolie, who hopefully will continue Eating for Sport in San Francisco, a food athlete mecca.

2 comments:

  1. UGh I apologize for the ugliness of this post. Blogger was being re-tarded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no, let me apologize for my unsightly paleness in these pictures. I'm going to blame it on the lighting this time.

    ReplyDelete